Friday, January 3, 2014

Hurry Down Sunshine Review

I enjoyed reading Hurry Down Sunshine; it was a very interesting, thought-provoking book. It was neat to follow Sally's life through her experiences with bipolar disorder, both in the hospital during treatment, and after she was released. I also liked how the book was about more than just Sally-- it also dealt with the experiences of Michael's family. It was interesting to hear about Helen's struggles with postpartum depression and how she believes she was the cause of Steve's mental illness. This brings up and interesting question: what causes mental illness? Is it caused solely by chemicals in the brain, or does it also come from life experiences?
The writing style was intriguing as well. While the first two parts of the book were sometimes dry or slow, Part 3 was full of action, and was my favorite part of the book. The vocabulary was very large, which sometimes made it difficult to read, but I felt like that made me read more closely. There were a few instances where Greenberg would give information about his past through the use of flashbacks, which I found interesting. In addition, Greenberg added a postscript at the end to give some information about their lives after the year of Sally's mental breakdown. It was interesting to read about Sally's life after the year of her mental breakdown, and also did a good job of showing how mental illness often affects people for their whole lives. In all, I definitely enjoyed this book, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to learn more about mental illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment