Thursday, November 14, 2013

Fortunado's Perspective

"As you are engaged, I am on my way to Luchesi. If anyone has a critical turn, it is he. He will tell me--" (p. 4)
I stop him right there.
"Luchesi cannot tell Amontillado from Sherry." (p. 4)
It's true. What a fool he is. That old clotpole is all talk. He does not know wine like I do. No man does. Montresor suggests that his taste is a match for my own. Ha! He must jest, as he always does. I do enjoy the company of Montresor. Indeed, he has quite the sense of humor.
He seems hesitant about proceeding to the vaults; he is concerned about imposing upon me. What a good-hearted man! But I press on until he concedes. I must have this Amontillado. How envious it would render Luchesi! No, this opportunity I cannot miss.
We proceed to his vaults, and I cannot wait to taste the Amontillado upon my lips.

5 comments:

  1. This was awesome, Sarah! I was really hoping to see someone re-write a scene from this particular short story. I was going to do something similar to this because I was curious to get inside Fortunado's head and try to find his train of thought. this was great, and I love how you brought out Fortunado's selfish greedy side, this was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that you chose to re-write a scene from this story. The story to begin with was difficult to understand due to the time era it was wrote. I like that you re-wrote it in a style that is more modern. It gave a look into what the other character was thinking and you start to look at the entire story a different way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well written, you managed to convey the greed that it seemed Fortunado had very well. Interesting word choice, "clotpole" I've never heard that word before. I'm not really sure that's even a word in the English language. But the use of description is suburb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I was reading the short story, I also thought that Fortunando was a bit naïve. I would have liked it better if you brought out how drunk he was, playing on his stupidity. Here he kind of seems neutral to the whole topic. I like how you play out that they're friends, and he doesn't think that anything was amiss. Nice descriptions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice start, Sarah-- I think Fortunado's perspective is potentially fascinating. It'd be interesting to go even further with this... what does he think of the mad narrator? (Bonus points for "old clotpole!"

    ReplyDelete